Could anxiety disorders have an effect on society? Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health disorder experienced by adults. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 18 percent of adults in the US are affected by anxiety disorders. However, according to Anxiety Centre, other estimates put anxiety disorders at 30 percent. Many people who are living with an anxiety disorder are unaware that they have an anxiety disorder. They do not seek treatment or receive any kind of help for the symptoms they are experiencing.
That many adults, as much as 30%, living with an anxiety disorder impacts the world in different ways. Here are some of the facts and statistics on the impact of anxiety disorders, provided by Anxiety Centre.
- Anxiety disorders cost more than $42 billion a year
- Anxiety disorders make up almost one third of the $148 billion annually spent on mental health in the US
- 3 to 5 times more likely are people with anxiety to go to a doctor
- 6 times more likely are people with anxiety disorders to be hospitalized for psychiatric issues
- 50% or more of college students seek help for anxiety problems
- 41% of employees across many industries of have high levels of anxiety
- 6.8 million people are affected by GAD, generalized anxiety disorder
- 2.2 million people are affected by OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder
- 7.7 million people are affected by PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder
- 15 million people are affected by SAD, social anxiety disorder
- 19 million people are affected by phobias
- Women are more likely to be affected by any kind of anxiety disorder than men
- Anxiety is often co-occurring with substance use disorders, which leads to overdose, accidental injury, or accidental death
Anxiety can be felt physically as well as mentally.
Physical Symptoms Of Anxiety
- Chest Pain
- Symptoms mimicking a heart attack
- Neck tension
- Upset stomach
- Increased heart rate
- Shortness of breath
Mental Symptoms Of Anxiety
- Irrational fear
- Ruminating thoughts
- Obsessive thinking
- Fear of going crazy or dying
- Inability to be consoled
- Convinced of irrational truths
- Losing sense of self and reality
If you are struggling with anxiety and co-occurring drug and alcohol substance use disorders, Harmony Place invites you to heal mind, body, and spirit, from drug and alcohol addiction in our luxury residential drug and alcohol treatment programs and we also offer dual diagnosis. For a private consultation and more information, contact us today at 1-855-627-1417.