What Are the Most Effective Treatments for Addiction?
The discovery of a loved one’s addiction can be an overwhelming experience. But, first, those unfamiliar with addiction may wonder what treatments for addiction are most effective. In addition, thoughts steer toward the opioid crisis and the staggering numbers of people dying from fentanyl. Secondly, the alarming number of treatment centers seems almost as daunting.
Finally, learning a new vocabulary built for addiction, therapy, treatment, and recovery can lead to much confusion. Evidence-based addiction treatment is a vital source of therapy in addiction. For example, treatments for addiction designed and formulated through research, evidence, and science-supported approaches are the most effective for successful recovery and relapse prevention.
In addition, evidence-based treatments must be a prerequisite when choosing a treatment center. Moreover, in making essential decisions in addiction treatment, someone will want the best practices for a loved one.
What is Evidence-Based Treatment?
Evidence-based therapies engage patients during their recovery from addiction to meet their long-term sobriety goals. Researchers prove the effectiveness of treatments for addiction, and patients learn how to modify behaviors from harmful and unhealthy to positive and healthy. Most importantly, evidence-based therapies are methods proven by the numbers.
Evidence-based therapies modify attitudes as well. Moreover, changing deeply ingrained thought processes is the foundation for success in recovery. Subsequently, treatments for addiction must address both the body and the mind. In addition, in a positive and healthy alternative, life skills education helps to work through the challenging situations that once led to addiction. In conclusion, clinicians and counselors rely on previously observed, science-supported therapies in treating addiction.
Addiction Treatments Overview
The most common treatments for alcohol or drug addiction have been successful for years. However, current methods and approaches include medically monitored and medication-assisted programs. Therefore, finding these foundational treatments is vital when searching for a treatment center.
The essential components of evidence-based therapies include the following treatments:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): Tha patient learns to correct inaccurate thought processes, replace negative behaviors with positive ones, and understand healthy coping mechanisms.
- Contingency management (CM) interventions and Motivational incentives: This provides material rewards to encourage sobriety and results in the reduction of relapse.
- Dialectal behavioral therapy (DBT): Here, patients learn emotion regulation, reducing self-destructive behaviors, distress tolerance, mindfulness, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI): Resolves ambivalence in recovery, encourages embracing treatment efforts, and strengthens motivation to develop a sense of control.
- 12-Step facilitation therapy: Proven peer support led by an experienced therapist fosters trust and builds positive support and relationship skills.
- Family behavior therapy: Rebuilds family relationships, provides education in supporting recovery, and encourages vulnerability and trust.
Medically-Monitored Detox and Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
Treatments for addiction using evidence-based therapies and programs for different components of addiction treatment are vital. First, there is a list of requirements for the most successful recovery programs. Secondly, ensuring the center’s staff is experienced, with medical and mental health professionals to provide services. Finally, the option for medication-assisted programs ensure every safety measure is an option.
Detox is always the initial component of treatment. Moreover, inpatient treatment programs and outpatient programs can be successful, but individual factors determine, in the initial assessment, what the best plan is. In addition, combinations of programs can work together to be successful, but the foundational therapies and processes must be present.
The following components of treatments for addiction offer the best practices for a successful recovery from addiction:
- Treatment professionals to address intake, assessment, and evaluation of patients, including medical and mental health professionals
- Detox programs that offer options for medically monitored and medication-assisted detox to reduce the intensity of withdrawal symptoms and lessen relapse potential
- Experienced therapists for individual therapy with evidence-based therapies
- Pharmacotherapy treatments work in combination with other therapies.
Detox, the initial component of a treatment program, can be a difficult and complex process. However, it is imperative that patients are medically monitored and the option of medication assistance is available.
In addition, immediately following successful detox, immediate treatments for addiction need to steer toward individual therapy to instill positive and healthy coping mechanisms in the newly sober. Finally, therapists can incorporate other opportunities into the treatment plan.
Additional Treatments for Addiction
The descriptions of each form of therapy are brief, but the importance of this piece is to list potential therapies to inquire about when looking for a treatment center. First, the treatments for drug or alcohol addiction are customizable or can be adjusted to meet individual needs.
Secondly, the treatment centers’ inquiries should include the therapies mentioned here for the best results. Finally, someone can familiarize themselves with research on evidence-based therapies and optional current modalities, including:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy (EMDR): This uses eye movement techniques in processing memories, thoughts, and trauma while using visual stimulation. In addition, the patient works directly with an experienced EMDR therapist who moves their fingers back and forth while the patient follows the movements. After that, the patient recalls painful memories and identifies thoughts of self. Finally, the goal is to resolve past trauma and pain.
- Holistic addiction therapies: Teaches patients to express and process thoughts and feelings using new holistic methods. Art therapy, acupuncture, routine exercise, guided meditation, massage, spiritual therapy, equine-assisted therapy, yoga, tai chi, and nutritional therapy are beneficial for further personal growth.
- Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT): This allows patients to identify, challenge and replace destructive thoughts and beliefs with healthy, adaptive thoughts. This therapy has proven successful in developing emotional well-being and producing goal achievement. The foundational idea is that rational thinking comes from within.
- SMART Recovery: This is a new therapy for Self-Management and Recovery Training. This is a transformative method of transitioning from addiction to positive self-regard and a willingness to change. A means to self-empowerment, this is a very accessible method of recovery.
Explore the Most Effective Treatments for Addiction in California
Find help securing a California treatment center offering the most effective treatments for addiction. Harmony Place offers a diverse opportunity for the most effective treatments for addiction in California.
Our compassionate intake professionals can guide you to understand each component of the recovery process. In addition, we can help you explore the treatment approaches you are most curious about to design an individualized plan for you or your loved one.
Contact us through our website or email.