How to Prepare for Rehab
Fear, the anticipation of the unknown, and the overwhelming end to addiction lead many to question how to prepare for rehab. After making the essential commitment to enter treatment, a considerable achievement, what comes next is frightening and can cause worry and anxiety. This is a normal reaction to an overwhelming life transition. Learning about rehab and how to prepare for it can help build confidence and instill hope for an exciting new beginning.
A life-changing transition, becoming sober, can be stressful and challenging. Focusing on how to prepare for rehab is challenging, feeling unable to put things on hold but realizing everything necessary has been on hold because of the addiction.
It’s understandable to feel torn between the current relationship with the substance and knowing deep inside sobriety must be achieved. If transitioning from a substance use disorder to sobriety, you must rely on professionals to understand your dilemma.
Choosing a Rehab Facility
Finding a treatment center offering a solid connection to your needs is the initial step in understanding how to prepare for rehab. Considering the well-known factors for finding the right rehab center is crucial. Professionals know how to begin to make a match, but you must also do your research. Factors to consider when choosing the best center are:
- Success rates of programs and options
- Therapy options
- Insurance acceptance
Understanding the Basics of Treatment
To prepare for rehab, the elimination of the unknown can be helpful and reduce anxiety. Misconceptions, stigmatized ideas, and fear of the unknown can cause negativity to creep in before entering rehab. This process works best when patients can understand what will happen after accepting treatment. Prevention of relapse must be considered from the beginning.
The following programs and activities are generally included with treatment programs.
- Individual therapy, usually cognitive-behavioral therapy, is one-on-one with a professional therapist. This form of therapy is designed to set up new coping skills for a positive and healthy lifestyle.
- Group therapy is a proven effective form of therapy combining the common thoughts, beliefs, experiences, emotions, and feelings of those dealing with a substance use disorder.
- Family therapy works to repair close relationships with loved ones in a safe environment.
- Education for a new lifestyle, understanding how addiction works, diet and nutrition study, and communication skills is crucial.
- Physical activities and recreational opportunities are incorporated into treatment to build life skills in a sober world.
Occupational and Family Obligations
The steps to prepare for rehab begin with addressing life’s priorities before concentrating on sobriety. Holding yourself accountable is essential, and allowing yourself to be vulnerable and honest will allow you to focus on your goals. People with substance use disorder are understandably fearful of judgment and rejection. However, once the commitment has been made, it’s a downhill journey.
- Opening up to family, friends, co-workers, and others to admit you need rehab will jump-start your journey to gaining sobriety. While facing a stigma square in the eye and proclaiming your intentions seems small, it’s a huge step in recovery.
- Employers must follow laws and guidelines once they know your intentions. For example, the Family and Medical Leave Act provides up to twelve weeks of medical leave while holding your position during rehab.
- If you are a caregiver, it’s imperative to make plans, ask for help, and hand the responsibility for others over to a reliable source. Now is the time to concentrate on your own needs.
- Addressing financial responsibilities is essential to relieving anxieties, enhancing focus, and gaining confidence in your journey. The intake counselor in treatment can assist with this challenge. In addition, understanding insurance coverage and limitations to coverage can allow for a strategy to be put in place.
When you are getting ready to prepare for rehab, be aware that your bills still need to be paid. Autopay works well, where you can set up your bills to be automatically paid on a specific date or before the due date with your utility companies.
Be sure your insurance premiums are paid, and determine who will maintain your rent or mortgage. If you are a support person, setting up your loved one for treatment success will allow peace of mind and less anxiety.
Make a list of your financial obligations and be sure they are attended to through autopay or a trusted family member.
- Rent or mortgage
- Utility payments
- Insurance premiums
- Car payments
- Copays or deductibles as they become due
Gather Essential Living Needs for Rehab
There are a bare minimum of clothes and personal needs you will want to have with you for rehab. The treatment center will supply a list of acceptable items to bring in when it’s time to go through the intake.
Remember that treatment is a time for therapy, self-reflection, and leaving stress behind. Those who need to go to rehab immediately can get by with nothing at first. Detox is more critical than convenience. Prepare for rehab by accepting the treatment you need without worry and freedom from outside distractions. A notebook or journal could be essential to include in your suitcase.
The following items are typically utilized and accepted in rehab:
- Dress code acceptable clothing
- Personal hygiene items such as toothbrush and paste, brush, hair products, deodorant
- Documentation needed by the treatment center for entry
- Prescription medication is to be surrendered but will be dispensed by staff
- Pictures of loved ones
Find Help for Preparing for Rehab in California
If you or a loved one has decided to receive treatment and end an addiction, you may need help with the next step. Harmony Place offers compassionate and understanding staff experienced in successfully introducing treatment options. We know that preparing for rehab can be frightening and anxiety-inducing, but we are prepared to identify any challenges and set up our patients for a successful recovery.
Contact Harmony Place by phone or through our website to begin the journey to a healthy life together.