For those moments when you feel like you’re right on the edge of falling apart it is absolutely vital to pick up the tools you’ve learned in treatment to help keep yourself together in a safe way.
- Don’t Let Perfectionism Get You Down: Things can get especially tough when we think perfection has to be involved. Either we have to be perfect, someone else has to be perfect, or the conditions of a situation has to be perfect. Considering that perfection is unachievable, a tough situation can quickly become more tough when it isn’t perfect.
- Manage Your Expectations: Perfection is an expectation. Expectations are a short cut to disappointment. Disappointment is a shortcut to resentment. Resentment can make any tough situation even more tough. Managing your expectations of how something should be going makes it easier to accept how things are. Start by taking a minute to look inside and evaluate what you think needs to happen. Next, decide if those demands seem reasonable or attainable. Lastly, move on by letting your expectations go.
- Get Physical: Pent up frustration and resentment when things aren’t going your way can lead to a lot of frustrated energy. Instead of stuffing it all inside, it is better to let it out in healthy ways. Sometimes you need to work it out in order to really work it out. Hit the gym, go for a hike, take a walk or a nice long swim. Whatever you do to get moving physically will help you process your energy.
- And Get Plenty Of Sleep: Trying to control things to be a way other than how they are is exhausting work. Processing all those expectations , disappointments, and putting yourself in check is also exhausting. Getting enough sleep is important for keeping your perspective fresh. You are able to manage yourself in a more productive way when you are well-rested. Like little kids throwing a temper tantrum, sometimes, you really need to take a nap.
- Make Room For Self Care: Overburdening yourself with too many responsibilities is a quick trip to burnout. You are going to feel like you can’t take anymore when you literally can’t take on any more! Making room for self-care is critically important for maintaining your mental health, physical health, and serenity.
- Let It Be: When there is nowhere left to turn, no efforts left to make, sometimes, you have to let it go and let it be. Acceptance is the answer to almost every problem. You might be able to effect change, or you might not. Either way you have to accept things as they are, most importantly yourself.
Harmony Place helps clients learn how to manage their lives using healthy coping techniques and skills developed through a combination of science based treatment methods and spiritual modalities. For a private consultation, call 1-855-652-9048.