Addiction has a way of touching us all – whether a close friend or family member has struggled in the past or in the present, or maybe you personally are battling substance abuse issues right now. Rest assured, you are not alone. There is help, there is hope, and in recovery treatment, you will find a light at the end of that dark tunnel.
If you’re reading this now, and you or a loved one is struggling, this is a good first step. It’s important to have as much information as possible before making that crucial next step to help you find a drug and alcohol detox and rehab program. Taking the time to research options now will ensure the greatest probability of long-term sobriety.
Drug Rehab Success Rates
Drug rehab success rates vary significantly based on stay length and the types of services provided. A National Institute on Drug Addiction report found that heroin users who only received opioid detox reported a 91 percent relapse rate. And 59 percent of those cases reported a relapse less than a week after receiving treatment.
Stay lengths can be as short as 72 hours and span well over a year in length. Scientific evidence supports the belief that the longer an individual receives inpatient treatment, the better the odds are that he or she will maintain sobriety. It’s critical to find the right place to detox.
Different Types of Rehab Programs
Here’s a quick overview of a few different types of detox and rehab programs available to you:
Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is typically provided under the care of both medical and mental health clinicians. There is usually a 24-hour observation protocol set in place, monitoring the patient’s vital signs and organ functioning during detox.
Medication is available to patients to reduce the pain and cravings associated with detoxification. This treatment method reduces the risk of withdrawal complications, increases the safety of detox and yields the highest recovery rates.
Clinically Managed Detox
Clinically managed detox is a short-term, non-medical strategy used for individuals seeking to cease substance use. Some social detox programs will simply provide a room for a patient to detox in, and no medical treatment is provided. Other social detox programs have limited peer or therapeutic interaction. Most are short-term – less than a week in length.
Holistic Treatment and Detox
Addiction can span months or even years. Over that period of time, an individual’s cognitive functioning can be severely affected and/or limited. Therefore, detox alone is not effective in promoting long-term recovery, as years of research proves.
A holistic approach encompasses an array of therapeutic methods of recovery treatment, including
- Mental health care
- Nutrition education
- Art therapy
- Career coaching
Success rates are higher among treatment facilities that employ a holistic approach to recovery care.
More than one in three individuals suffering from addiction issues is also battling a serious mental health condition. Typically, the substance abuse issue is either a result of the individual self-medicating the effects of the behavioral disorder or is a contributing factor, intensifying the addiction.
If you suffer from a mental health disorder or suspect one might be present, it is important to find a treatment facility that will deal with both the addiction and the co-occurring mental health diagnosis.
Choosing a Rehab Facility for the Right Place to Detox
Are you apprehensive about seeking treatment for yourself or your loved one? If you are, that apprehension is normal. Seeking treatment is not only a monumental change in one’s life, but it’s also a 180-degree turn in the right direction.
Normal feelings people go through before seeking treatment:
- Worried about the health risks associated with detox
- Scared of losing relationships
- Afraid of judgment, stigma or embarrassment from friends, family members or co-workers
- Fear of weight gain or other health issues that might be present
- Reluctant to share feelings or past trauma experiences with others
- Fear of failure
These are all normal feelings, and all are valid. As the stages of treatment progress for patients who embrace recovery, all of these feelings slowly but surely subside.
Why People Relapse After Substance Abuse Treatment
In researching different recovery programs, it’s also important to consider why people aren’t successful in maintaining sobriety. Below is a list of all too common situations, attributes, and mindsets that lead individuals battling substance addiction to relapse:
- People, places and things – Mismanagement of old triggers or returning to the same social scene where the addiction flourished significantly increases relapse rates.
- Special occasions – Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and cookouts can all increase the likelihood of relapse. It’s important to have a plan, to have support or to simply avoid gatherings or events where you feel your sobriety might be compromised.
- Career stress – The pursuit of financial stability and success can put undue stress on individuals in early recovery. It’s important to work with a therapist and continue attending support groups to manage that stress and to calibrate expectations.
- Relationships – Dating in early recovery is typically not advised. Whether entering into a relationship with someone in sobriety or not, relationships can become codependent and problematic – leading to relapse.
- Insomnia – An inability to sleep can lead to relapse, and can also easily be mitigated through proper mental health treatment. It is important to fall back on that resource if you’re having trouble sleeping.
Harmony Place Does MAT, Dual Diagnosis and More
The world is complex – every part different, every human that makes up the whole unique. Therefore, at Harmony Place, we make it a point to remember these subtleties. Our treatment plans are all medically based, putting our clients’ safety first, above all else. Our treatment plans are also client-centered, tailored to fit your needs and the needs of your family and loved ones.
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all instruction manual that guarantees long-term recovery, so at Harmony Place, we get to know you first. Then, our team works right alongside you and your family to develop a long-term plan to keep you safe, happy, healthy and productive, in every endeavor you chose to embark upon.